To all University of British Columbia Alumni who love to golf…
Don’t miss an exciting way to kick off your golfing season with the UBC Alumni Dinner, Dance and Golf Tournament, March 9-10, 2008 at Desert Willow in Palm Desert.
So…what’s the big deal? Is this just another tournament? Oh no…this one is for a very special cause.
Some background…I’m not sure if you heard, but on Jan 14th in Nashville, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) voted on whether to allow Universities outside of the US to join. – And…by a vote of 97 % it was passed!
What great news for UBC golfers! UBC has spent the last 12 years getting ready for this opportunity, so you can imagine how excited they are. The hope is that both women and men’s golf teams will be playing in Div 11 to start and eventually Div 1, which shouldn’t be too difficult considering…
- UBC’s women’s golf team won their fifth straight RCGA National Championship and so far this year are ranked 2nd overall in the NAIA. You go girls!!!
- The men played against 17 schools at Western Washington this past fall and set a 37 year record for the event! They had their best finish ever beating all other schools. As of December 2007, they are ranked number 1 in the NAIA. Keep it up, guys!!!
Having NCAA pass this rule means that Canada will have a much better chance of keeping the best and brightest in Canada. Now we need to attract the best to UBC, and that requires money.
So…..The CN Desert Classic is an important part of UBC’s fundraising effort. I hope you will support it by putting together a team. The teams can be any combination of men and women, including only men and only women. So grab some friends and hit the desert!
They already have some big guns signed up…
– Marie Earl, Executive Director, UBC Alumni Association and AVP, Alumni
– Barbara Miles, VP Development and Alumni Engagement
– Stephen Owen, VP External, Legal and Community Relations
– Gayle Stewart, Vice Chair, UBC Alumni Association Board of Directors
– Ian Robertson, Treasurer, UBC Alumni Association Board of Directors
Now it’s your turn. Sign up online today and start your year off right by helping out our UBC kids who work so hard to make their Alumni proud!